Providing eight pristine discrete channels of Focusrite Class A mic pre and compression,
OctoPre routes directly to any digital audio workstation via eight standard analogue outputs,
or via a choice of two optional 24-bit, 96kHz A/D converters (see below for details). The new
OctoPre offers the unique qualities associated with the Focusrite name at an affordable price.
Each channel features a revolutionary compressor/limiter circuit, providing a warm-sounding
compressor, which morphs into a brick wall limiter to avoid those critical overs, ensuring total
control over all eight channels.
The mic pres featured in OctoPre are the same as those featured elsewhere in the award
winning Focusrite Platinum range. They are a transistor-based Class A design utilising the
same full-bandwidth philosophy as the legendary Red and ISA mic pres, ensuring detail and
clarity without colouration. The first two ‘super channels’ also feature phase reverse, as well
as TRS jack inputs on the front fascia for quick and easy, DI-free instrument plug-in.
Eight line level balanced (+4 dBu) analogue inputs and outputs are provided as standard via
25-pin D-type connectors. These D-type connectors may be routed to 8 XLRs by means of
an 8-way 25-pin D-type to 8 XLR breakout cable, available separately. In addition to the analogue
outputs, the OctoPre can be fitted with one of the following two digital output options:
24-bit/96 kHz ADAT? interface card
This card provides digital outputs for all eight OctoPre channels, which operate over the full
sample frequency range (44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz) and can be dithered to 16-, 20-, or 24-bit
depths depending upon the destination. External word clock synchronisation is possible
using the rear panel BNC connector. The card features two ADAT?-type lightpipe output
connectors. For speeds up to 48KHz both connectors transmit all 8 channels simultaneously.
However, ADAT?-type connectors are bandwidth limited at sample rates above 48 kHz – each
audio channel uses two ADAT? digital channels to accommodate the increased quantity of data,
hence the need for two ADAT? connectors to allow 8 channels of conversion at high speed.
24-bit/96 kHz AES/SPDIF/ADAT? interface card
This card contains exactly the same ADAT?-type digital output facilities as described above,
with the addition of AES and SPDIF format outputs via a 9-pin D-type connector on the rear
panel. As with the ADAT?-type outputs, the full range of sample rates and bit depths are
available, and the converter may be synchronised to an external word clock source if required.
To access the digital signals from the 9-pin D-type AES/SPDIF output connector the A/D card
must be purchased with either an AES or SPDIF D-Type conversion cable, available separately.
Either 8 AES or 8 SPDIF outputs can be used simultaneously with 8 ADAT? outputs and the
OctoPre?s analogue outputs.
With Class A Focusrite processing and almost all the interface options known to man, the
Platinum Octopre is the perfect partner for any Pro Tools system or any other digital audio
workstation, making high quality, multi-channel recording easy. Equally it could be utilised
as an instant location recording solution, or as an additional set of mic pres for any analogue
or digital console, or hard disk recorder.
Please note: The power supply featured in OctoPre is not a switching power supply. Consequently,
120v OctoPres are not suitable for use in 220-240v territories, and vice versa.
* Electronically balanced 20kW
* Nominal level +4dBu / -10dBV
* 1/4? jack (channels one and two only)
* 25 pin D-type 8 channel line level analogue connector
* 8 XLR inputs for Mic
Front Panel Controls
* Phantom Power: On/Off: +48V
* Gain (mic): 0dB to 60dB
* Gain (line): -10dB to +10 dB
* Gain (instrument): 0dB to 60dB (Impedance > 1MOhm)
* Phase Reverse: On/Off (Channel 1 & 2 only)
* High Pass filter: On/Off: -12dB / octave. ?6dB at 75Hz
* Dynamics: Limiter threshold is fixed at 20dBu. Compressor
threshold and ratio is variable
* Frequency select: Switchable (44.1, 48, 88.2, 96kHz)
* Dither: 24-, 20- or 16-bit
* Signal Present: -20dBFS (green LED)
* Overload: +22dBu (red LED)
* Compressor mode: Yellow LED intensity increases with compression
* Hard Limit mode: Red LED on when limiting (threshold = +20dBu)
* 25-pin D-type 8 channel analogue connector
* THD: 0.001% @ 20dBu input, mic and line at 0dB gain
* Noise: -96dB at unity gain through the unit
* Mic EIN: -128 dBu @ 6dB of gain with 150Ohm termination impedance
* Frequency response: -1dB at 10Hz to 200kHz
* 480mm (w) x 44mm (H) x 265mm (D)